10 October 2011

Witches' Hats


My mom has a great witch cackle. Like, seriously awesome. So good in fact that she has been known to scare little toddlers off the front porch on Halloween. She always felt bad when a 3-year-old ballerina was reduced to tears, but she kept at it nonetheless.

Every year on Halloween my mom would put on her witch hat. I would groan. I mean, it was a nice hat and all, but every year? Why couldn't she be cool and wear a different costume to answer the door? I mean, all my friends saw her in the same costume every Halloween. Totally the picture of un-coolness, if you were to ask my teenage self.

But now, as an adult, I get it. (Isn't that always the case with everything? The whole "mom was always right" thing?)

Costumes are expensive. And if you're just handing out candy or taking your kid trick-or-treating, why spend the money? I have exactly three costumes in my rotation: Dorothy (the character; wouldn't it be funny if I had a costume of myself?), Minnie Mouse ears, and a Merlotte's t-shirt and apron (True Blood, anyone?) I just rotate my costumes each year and Jordan already says to me "MOM you were Minnie Mouse last year!" when I reach for my ears.

This year Jordan is going to be Dorothy. Maybe I need to invest in a witches' hat to add to the costume rotation. But that wouldn't work, because I can't cackle as good as my mom. (No one can.)

So instead, I'll settle for these cookies.


They really are the easiest Halloween treat you can make. They have three ingredients: Fudge Stripe Cookies, Hershey's Kisses, and red candy melts (or red cookie icing). That's it. You can make a whole tray in about 15 minutes. Perfect when the teacher springs a last-minute party on you.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go practice my cackle. The tradition should live on, don't you think?

See those? In the background?
Come back next Monday for that recipe!

Print Friendly and PDFWitches’ Hats
Recipe from BettyCrocker

Ingredients:
1 package Fudge Stripe Cookies
32 Hershey’s kisses
Red candy melts or decorator icing

Directions:
Melt red candy melts and place in a sandwich or pasty bag. Using a little of the melted candy, attach one  kiss (unwrapped) to the bottom of each cookie. Draw a ring around the kiss with the red candy, to look like a bow. Chill until hardened. (This can also be done using red decorator icing or red frosting.)

Yield: 32 happy kids


This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Fall Crawl (The Artsy Girl Connection), Fall Craft Challenge (One Artsy Mama)

Labels:

22 Comments:

At October 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories, Kiddo. The cost of costumes was only part of it. I always figured that when you are good at something...(kind of like you writing this blog). Plus there is something about a witch giving candy to children out of a cauldron that seems so like Halloween.
Love you,
Mom

 
At October 10, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Anita Rowe Stafford said...

These are the cutest! I just love them and will have to make some of the for the grandkids.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Blogger sacstrawblnd said...

What a fantastic, GENIUS idea! So simple & easy, yet cute as can be.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Geni said...

I love these! I've made them before as well and I used to wear a Cat in the Hat, from Dr. Zeus, hat every year and paint whiskers on my face. I haven't done in that in a few years...maybe it's time to drag it out. :)

 
At October 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

These are so cute and seem quick to throw together, which I love!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Cooking for My Kids said...

What a great idea! And, I love the pictures. I need to make these with my littles!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Rockbridge Relief Society said...

Very, very cute!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

These are cute. :-) Thank you for linking up at Joy of Desserts, Dorothy.

It's so much fun dressing up even when we are adults.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Anonymous Carolinaheartstrings said...

These are just adorable and I love the story about your mom. Thanks for sharing. We are so excited to be having our first give away on Tuesday. We would love for you to be one of our winners. Come on over.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@sacstrawblnd
Thanks! They are one of my daughter's favorite Halloween goodies. Thanks for commenting! :)

@Geni
How cute! Jordan would love for me to be Cat in the Hat, it's one of her favorites. Thanks for your comment! :)

@Renee
I think the easy factor is why I love these so much! :) Thanks for reading!

@Cooking for my kids
Jordan did most of the work, so it's for sure a kid-friendly treat! I hope they enjoy them. :)

@Rockbridge Relief Society
Thank you! :)

@Carolinaheartstrings
I'll be sure to stop by! :)

 
At October 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've made these the last two Halloweens! Perfect for Halloween parties! : )

 
At October 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

LOVE the True Blood idea! I need to order a Merlotte's shirt for myself. Did you get it online?? That's fitting. I was a waitress/bartender for wayyy too long in my college days.
Cute witches' hats!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Latasha said...

Hi Dorothy just wanted to show some bloggy love and let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award, here is the link to the post on my site for the details http://storybookscience.com/2011/10/the-versatile-blogger-award/

 
At October 11, 2011 at 4:42 AM , Blogger Andi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 11, 2011 at 4:59 AM , Blogger Andi said...

Hi I just joined your blog, love it. The little hats are so cute. Thanks for sharing Andi thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com

 
At October 11, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Kristin
It was a fun costume, except no one really knew what it was. :) A friend and I went as the same thing. You can get the shirt online, I think at HBO. I got mine at Hot Topic so they might have them online too. I got the green apron at an online restaurant supply (I googled "green apron") and made the Merlotte's logo using an iron-on. :)

 
At October 11, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Latasha
Thanks! That's so sweet! I'll be sure to go check it out. :)

 
At October 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

I love these! AND I loved your cute candy corn brownies! I am actually going to feature them tomorrow...so grab a button if you'd like!

 
At October 14, 2011 at 8:58 AM , Anonymous Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate said...

HA! Your mom and my mom should hang out. Maybe you have to be a grandma before you perfect the cackle? Loving your 12 weeks of Christmas. Great idea!

 
At October 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

I love the witch hats! I made mini ones just like this for cupcakes the other day! they are so cute

 
At October 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate
Thanks! :) It's making me fatter, but that doesn't matter this time of year, right? ;)

 
At October 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Winelady Cooks said...

Hi, love these hat cookies. Great idea and sooooo easy, just what I like. I think the kids will have fun putting these together.

I came from Turning the Table Thursday, now following. Please stop by when you have a chance.

Thanks for sharing,
Joanne

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home