23 September 2011

Pumpkin Cake with Browned Butter Frosting


If you follow me on Facebook you may have read about my frustrating search for pumpkin puree last week. I had been waiting for the perfect moment to make something pumpkin and that moment was last weekend. I was baking up a storm for a dessert buffet for the teachers at my daughters' school and wanted to include this pumpkin cake.

But I couldn't find any canned pumpkin. (I know I could make my own, but I'm really not into adding hours of work to an already busy baking day.)

I looked at Walmart. There was a huge space for it next to the pumpkin pie filling, but it was empty.

I looked at Savemart (a local grocery store). Same thing as Walmart, space on the shelf with no pumpkin in sight. The checker mentioned that the shipment may have gotten delayed.

After seeing my Facebook post, a friend of mine offered to look at Trader Joe's while she was shopping. No luck.

At this point I was getting nervous. Did the long winter we had mean there was a pumpkin shortage? Would I have to go without muffins and bread and pie and cheesecake? What was I to do?

I started calling other stores in the area. I was in luck! The Safeway near me had five cans of pumpkin in stock. My husband was headed that way and said he'd pick some up for me. I gave him strict instructions (real pumpkin not pie filling, check the expiration dates...) When I saw the bag sitting on the table later that day I was very excited. Pumpkin! Yippee! Then I looked inside and saw four cans of pumpkin puree, just like I'd asked for. But instead being 15 ounce cans, like I'd expected, he'd gotten me four 29 ounce cans. Four. 29 ounce cans. Um, wow. That's a lot of pumpkin. Now you know what to expect from me for the next few months.


This cake is delightful. It's pumpkin goodness all mixed up together. And it starts with a cake mix, so it's easy to make too. Oh, and it's glazed with browned butter frosting.

{Um, can we talk about browned butter frosting for a minute? So. Freakin'. Good. Have you ever had it? I hadn't until I made this batch. It's caramely, nutty, buttery sweet goodness. Go make some. Just serve it with a spoon, no cake needed.}


And if you still can't find pumpkin? Give me a holler...I think I have some to spare. (Wink, wink.)

Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
Printed from www.CrazyforCrust.com

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 box of yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Supermoist Yellow Cake)
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

For the glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla


Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
2.       Using a hand mixer, blend all of the ingredients in a large bowl on medium speed.
3.       Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before glazing.
4.       To make the glaze: Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until butter has browned. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir until no lumps remain. Pour immediately over top of cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.

Yield: 12-15 slices (or less if you’re like me)


This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)



Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At September 23, 2011 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm....This looks really good. My mom loves pumpkin pie and her birthday is in a couple weeks. I have to make this for her! Thanks so much! :)

 
At September 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it tasted great but it also looks beautiful!!!
Mom :}

 
At September 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous carolinaheartstrings said...

That looks just fantastic. Very pretty presentation and I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Come over and visit us. We have a terrific apple turnover recipe to share.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous The Better Baker said...

Oh how I LOVE this idea...I make pumpkin cookies with browned butter frosting...this cake has to be awesome as well. Your photos are fabulous! I stocked up on pumpkin last year after we ran short...and have some in the freezer, but sometimes I don't want to wait for it to thaw. Guess I need to go shopping and stock up. Looking forward to more pumpkin recipes from you. Enjoy the weekend.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Anita Rowe Stafford said...

That is one gorgeous cake! I've never made that frosting, will have to try it. Love the way your pan is shaped!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Karen @ Trilogy Edibles said...

You are killing me with all these treats. Thank god for the gym!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM , Anonymous Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

YUM! Browned butter frosting is amazing! I'm sure it's the perfect partner for pumpkin anything! This would fit right in at Seasonal Inspiration Saturday!

www.crumbsandchaos.blogspot.com

 
At September 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger justjenn said...

Ooooooh. This gives me an idea....

 
At September 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

This is beautiful! I love your pan. I've also discovered the beauty of browned-butter icing recently so I know this is delicious. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

 
At September 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM , Anonymous The Undercover Cook said...

There must be a run on pumpkin puree....yours is the second post I read today about not being able to find it anywhere. Guess everyone is stocking up for fall!

This cake looks awesome. I especially like sound of the Brown Butter Icing. I will have to give this a try!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love doctored boxed cakes...they are SO moist! This is lovely and I'd love big piece with a cup of coffee!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@The Better Baker
Oh, cookies with browned butter frosting sound awesome! I have a feeling I'll be freezing lots of pumpkin this year! :)

@Anita Stafford
Thanks! The frosting seriously is to die for. :)

@Karen@Trilogy Edibles
I hear you! Luckily I didn't eat this cake - it was for school and it disappeared too fast for me to snag a slice. :)

@Becca @Crumbs and Chaos
Thanks for the invite! It's Fall on a plate. :)

@Kim McCallie
Thanks! Brown Butter rocks. :)

@The Undercover Cook
I know, at first I thought I was crazy. But I think there may actually be a shortage or something. At least I'm set. Thanks for your comment!

@Ann
They sure are! It's one reason I love cake mix. Thanks for your comment! :)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Sweet And Crumby said...

I am a pumpkin fiend my friend and this cake looks over-the-top fantastic! Can't wait to give it a try! :)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Sweet And Crumby
Let me know if you do, what you think! I hope you enjoy it. :) I need to make it again and actually taste it.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great looking cake! I never thought about a browned butter frosting with pumpkin!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

browned butter frosting...GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would slap some pecans on there and hide in my closet w/ a fork and a cup of hot tea....oh the dream land I live in.

 
At September 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Blogger Micupoftea said...

haha! Reminds me of a scene from Anne Of Green Gables when Matthew bought 25 lbs of sugar when his sister asked for sugar from the store!
YUM...your cake looks awesome :)

 
At September 28, 2011 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Micupoftea~
Too funny! I think it's a normal "husband or man gets items for woman" story. ;) Thanks for your comment!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Your cake looks delicious! And I love that you made it with a yellow cake mix!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

 
At October 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger My Little Home and Garden said...

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to try a recipe for spicy pumpking hummus. The pumpkin puree hunt took 2 stores, 3 for the tahini. Guess we're both "hunters and gatherers". Your cake looks yummy!
-Karen

 
At October 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I'll be featuring these tomorrow on my blog www.trilogyedibles.com for great pumpkin recipes from around the web!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home