06 October 2011

Snickerdoodle Bars (12 weeks of Christmas Cookies)


I love watching television. It's one of my favorite pastimes. It's one of the reasons I love the Fall so much: new shows. While my husband makes his Fantasy Football spreadsheets, I make my TV show grid. (Hey, a DVR can only tape two things at once!)

Of course the TV comedies (Modern Family, anyone?) and dramas (Grey's Anataomy!) are my favorites, but I also love reality TV. I think I love the Housewives so much because it's brainless TV. I can watch for five minutes and then pick it up again a day later without missing a beat. But when it comes to reality TV, I especially love the competition shows: Project Runway, Top Chef, Amazing Race, and Survivor.

Which brings me to the point of this rambling.

I also enjoy Twitter. Evenings seems to be a huge time for tweeting, so I like to tweet and read and share things then. So I'd like to do a little PSA to the celebrities out there who are on reality shows, especially competition ones.

8:00 pm Eastern time is NOT 8:00 pm Pacific time. When it's 8:00 in New York, where y'all live, it's actually on 5:00 pm here in California. Which means that when you, Jeff Probst or other reality competition host, are tweeting which tribe lost and is at tribal council, I have not seen the show yet. And knowing before watching who gets voted off (or is out or who packed their knives) kind of ruins the whole thing.

So now, while trying to figure out how to tape The Real Housewives, Amazing Race, and Sunday Night Football all at the same time, I also have to make sure I don't go on Twitter.

It's a good thing I can bake. Gives me something to do during these situations.


If you need something to do next time you're avoiding social media and your TV, try giving these Snickerdoodle bars a try. I made them for a potluck and they were all gone when I went to clean up the dishes. Only crumbs were left, which is the best compliment for a baker. They are full of cinnamon and topped with a sweet glaze. Snickerdoodles without all the work!


Snickerdoodle Bars
Recipe from Betty Crocker
Printed from www.CrazyforCrust.com

Ingredients:
For the Bars:
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Cinnamon Filling:
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

For the Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.
2.       Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3.       Beat butter with a stand or hand mixer until creamy. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Mix in vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed until combined.
4.       Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and press into bottom of pan (it will be thin).
5.       Make the cinnamon filling by mixing the 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over batter.
6.       Spoon the rest of the batter in teaspoon sized amounts on top of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
7.       Make the glaze: mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Drizzle over top of bars. Let sit until the glaze sets, about a half hour. Cut into bars.

Yield: 24 bars



What shows are you excited about this season?




This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Fall Crawl (The Artsy Girl Connection), Fall Craft Challenge (One Artsy Mama)

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At October 6, 2011 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Sweet And Crumby said...

These snickerdoodle bars look like the PERFECT after school snack. My favorite two shows are also Modern Family and Grey's. Yay for both! As for new shows, I am enjoying Terra Nova and Person of Interest.

 
At October 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Sweet And Crumby
I have Person of Interest on my DVR. I really want to try it - we are so behind with 2 nights of FB a week and my husband being gone so much. I've heard it's great. Thanks for your comment! :)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 12:56 AM , Anonymous Sook said...

Gotta get ready for Christmas now... lol! Love the snickerdoodle bars... Yum!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Sook
Thanks! They totally do remind me of Christmas...it's coming up fast!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Dianne@Baking4Six said...

YUM! Saw your post on TheFrugalGirls! linky party. Last week I posted a modified version of this exact same Betty Crocker recipe on my blog Baking4Six & shared it with TheFrugalGrils! (9/29) linky party under "Pumpkin" Snickerdoodle Bars. :)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Snickerdoodles are my kid's favorite. But with a cinnamon filling and frosting??? Holy smokes! I'm so making these!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Sue said...

These bars look fantastic! They're like big, thick snickerdoodle cookies:)

 
At October 9, 2011 at 5:33 AM , Anonymous Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

Oh man! These look amazing! I love the flavor of snickerdoodles and this looks like less work than rolling and dipping. Can't wait to make these!

 
At October 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

 
At October 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Dianne@Baking4Six
oh yum! Pumpkin snickerdoodles? Awesome. I'll have to check that out for sure! Thanks for reading. :)

 
At October 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos
I hope you enjoy them! Easier is so much better, especially this time of year. :)

 
At October 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Thanks for the hop party, I linked up some cookies and thanks for joining Foodness Gracious..
Take care.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 4:08 AM , Blogger Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...sounds scrumptiously tasty..
first time here..love your space..
awesome recipe collection with excellent cliks..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

 
At October 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Blogger beti said...

I love how that swirl in the middle looks!

http://bitstreats.blogspot.com/

 
At October 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM , Anonymous Margo said...

May I just say...I made these last night and they are Fan-FREAKING-tastic! Moist, dense yet soft...I was in heaven...thanks so much for sharing. You're my new "favorite"...

 
At October 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Margo
Wow, thank you so much! That's so sweet! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I need to make them for myself, when I made them last time they were for giving away. Hmmmm....snack for tonight? ;)

 
At October 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - these look and sound delicious!! Can't wait to try some!

 
At October 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates
Thank you! If you try them, let me know what you think. :)

 
At October 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

The Snickerdoodle bars look delicious! I'll have to whip up a batch soon. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

 
At October 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I could grab these from a little kid and not feel bad one bit! YUM!!!!!! Thx for sharing and look forward to seeing you this week too!

 
At November 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous Chris said...

Hi there, thanks for sharing the recipe for the snickerdoodle bars. I'm just catching up on my blogs. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

 
At April 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anna said...

I just made these with a twist. Instead of the filling I put some cinnamon in them dough. I also spread the whole thing in the pan and chopped up some frozen cinnamon toast sticks and put them on top. Its baking right now and smells so good!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home