29 September 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies (12 weeks of Christmas Cookies)


One of these days I'm going to get t-shirts made. I'm going to wear them all superman-style under my clothes so that when I meet new people, I can rip open my shirt to reveal sayings like:

Yes, I only have one kid.

or

No, I'm not having any more kids.

or

My baby was full price and we couldn't afford another.

Starting a new school year means meeting new moms. 99% of the new moms I meet are great. They are nice, non-judgemental, caring, and are already or will become friends (and it doesn't matter to them how many kids I have).

Then there is that other 1%. The ones that totally judge everything about you and you know it. Because they let you know it, in not so subtle ways. It can be for several reasons; maybe you work and the judger is a SAHM who thinks you're unfit. Or maybe vice versa; you stay home and she works and thinks she's better than you.

In my case, often the judgers judge me because I have an only child. And she will always be an only child; we're not having any more kids.  My experience with this 1% happened just last week. Her first question to me was if I had other kids. Here is a summary of our conversation:

Me: "No, Jordan is our only one."

Judger: "Oh, my little Reggie (not his real name) always begs me to be the only child. He wishes he didn't have brothers and sisters."

{Note: her words are dripping with the tone of now I know your life is easier than mine. We all know that tone, don't we?}

Me: "Oh, Jordan is always begging for a sibling. That whole the grass is greener thing, you know."

Her (totally serious, because she knows better than me, of course): "Oh, she should come spend some time at my house. Her mind would change for sure!"

I "mmmhmmmed" when I wanted to say "Yes, well, we spent $20,000 to get our kid. Maybe if I could pop them out like a Pez dispenser, I'd have the same problems as you," but I didn't.  Maybe I should put that on a t-shirt.

You know what I should put on a t-shirt? Beware: Pumpkin & White Chocolate May Cause the Need for Rehab.

Because the combination of pumpkin and white chocolate is seriously addictive. Like, dangerous for your waistline. And when you add them to an oatmeal cookie? Watch out. If you put a plate of these in front of me I might go all Charlie Sheen on you.


So you need to make these cookies. Like, now. I've got some extra pumpkin if you need it.

And, did you know it's just over 12 weeks until Christmas? How do I know? Because this is the first week of the 12 weeks of cookies!


Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe from My Baking Addiction

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (you can also use wheat flour)
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
2 cups white chocolate chips

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2.       Whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
3.       Beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin and egg and mix well. Mix in flour mixture and beat until well combined. Stir in white chocolate chips.
4.       Drop by equal scoopfuls onto prepared baking sheets. (I used a two tablespoon cookie scoop.) Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned, rotating pans halfway through baking. Cool on baking sheet at least 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

Note: The original recipe called for dried cherries. If you’re into that, go ahead and add some (or raisins or whatever suits your fancy). 

Yield: about 4 dozen cookies






This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Pumpkin blog hop (Deelicious Sweets)



Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At September 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I hear ya!!! I hate that 1%!! My had MAJOR complications when I was pregnant, really we are lucky to both be alive and well. If i get pregnant again I have 50% chance of having the same complications. We figure having a Mom is more important than having a sibling. Why do I have to explain this to people, so they leave me alone?!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I hear ya!!! I hate that 1%!! My had MAJOR complications when I was pregnant, really we are lucky to both be alive and well. If i get pregnant again I have 50% chance of having the same complications. We figure having a Mom is more important than having a sibling. Why do I have to explain this to people, so they leave me alone?!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous carolinaheartstrings said...

This cookie recipes looks fantastic. I love pumpkin anything so this is a must try! Come over and visit us. We have the most amazing apple cake recipe you will have taste.

 
At September 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger The Poet Herself said...

Mmmm... now if only I could get my hands on some canned pumpkin. Though these look like they're worth doing it the old-fashioned way and starting with a "real" sugar pumpkin!

People are so rude. Screw 'em. If these 1% could shut their mouths and just think for one moment what they're coming across as... but they won't. At least they make it easier to weed out the riff raff, right?

 
At September 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

I'm still laughing at the idea of a Pez dispenser! Oh, and I bought my first can of pumpkin today.. :)

 
At September 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Anonymous Ellen said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I have an oatmeal, white chocolate and dried cranberry cookie that this one just might cut out of the Top 10 Cookies circle! My bday is the 25th and is known as "Christmas in September" and marks the annual countdown for me. Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Geni said...

I guess we were on the same wavelength this week with our pumpkin cookies! White chocolate sounds like the most perfect idea with them ever. Sorry you had to meet up with a judgemental mom. Not fun. I have a severely shy and anxious kid. I used to get the, "What did you DO TO HER?!" looks like somehow it was our fault. It was bad enough wondering what brought it on without the judgemental types. We normal moms just need to have really thick skin I suppose and find the nice moms who actually have a fairly supportive shoulder to lean on now and then.

 
At September 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just LOOOOVE these cookies - I love pumpkin AND oatmeal - and combined just has to be a real taste treat. So glad you shared. ~The Better Baker

 
At September 29, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Sue said...

Sheeeesh...Just tell them that you hit the jackpot with your first and no more are needed:)

These cookies look sooo good! I love oatmeal and pumpkin, so this is a winning recipe in my book! Love the gorgeous ribbon color too!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Marilyn said...

Yum.. Lovely recipe..I love it.. I would LOVE for you to link it up to my fall crawl blog party.. I'm officially following ya with smiles - I found ya on linky..GREAT blog with Lots of inspirations here :)) - the link to link up is http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-12-blog-party.html

 
At September 29, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I know I'm gonna have to make these. I love pumpkin to no end. So glad you're baking along this year.

 
At September 29, 2011 at 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, this recipe looks DELICIOUS! Second, I am so sorry that you had to deal with such insensitivity. We had a long road to having our baby girl, so I completely understand how you must have felt in that situation. I was getting mad/frustrated/sad/irritated for you as I was reading the run down of your conversation with her. It sounds like you handled it well! I may not have been so nice.... ;)

I'm here from the Something Swanky blog hop and am your newest follower! Love your blog and can't wait to read more of your wonderful recipes! :)

Kim @ Little Rays of Sunshine
morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

 
At September 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Trisha said...

I've never baked with pumpkin before, have to get my hands on a can of pumpkin now. I love the little serving platter in you pictures, very pretty.

As for the mean 1%, pretend like they don't exist, revel in the joy that you have one amazing kid. There are loads of folks out there who long for atleast one child and who haven't had any luck yet!

 
At September 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I totally hate it when people do that! We have an only child too; I am an only child and so is my dad. It makes me CRAZY when people have the nerve to question whether or not we know what's best for our own family and I've even had people tell me I'm depriving my child by not giving him a sibling. Seriously?! My dad used to tell people, "We got it right the first time, no need to try again." Then he'd just raise an eyebrow, like "Obviously you didn't..." hehe. Anyway, I'm having a pumpkin party and I'd love for you to link up your cookies. :)

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-craft-challenge-4-pumpkins.html

 
At October 1, 2011 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

Amy, I love your Dad's attitude! I have only 1 child thus far, and he suffered a stroke at birth, which was traumatic and a year of complications. He's doing great, but I spent the first year dealing with people saying "oh well, he LOOKS fine!" It scares me to bits having another, and sometimes I feel like I should have another one because everyone is on my case about it. I am a child of 3, and my husband is a child of 4, and we both admit siblings do NOT work in our respective families, and haven't for generations. Sometimes, as Amy's Dad said, one is enough because if it ain't broke, why fix it?

P.S. I did print off this recipe to make these yummy-sounding cookies, but thanks for letting us all vent our frustrations at the insecure 1% of the populations :)

 
At October 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. I saw your comment and would love to join your linky too, I see that it's private, how do I link up next week and is there a button I can grab to remind me to link up. Just let me know, you can find me at BT or mhilton05@yahoo.com

 
At October 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

I am so sorry you get hassled about having one child. We have 2 but most people know I wanted more. So I get questioned alot why we didn't. And to me it's personal and people shouldn't ask that stuff. We live in a world where people just have to voice every thought. Some should be left alone if you ask me.
I really like these cookies. My hubs would love them.

 
At October 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM , Blogger PaperWreaths said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look of these cookies! I've got to get my hands on some pumpkin and try them. So perfect for fall!

-Miriam

 
At October 3, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger PaperWreaths said...

@momof378

so I got taken off because....you don't like the truth?

 
At October 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@momof378
Actually, I took it off because I would prefer to have these sorts of discussions without the full view of the entire blogosphere. I would love to discuss this further with you, but you have not linked an email to your Google account or left one for me to respond. Thank you for reading my words, even if you don't agree with what I say.

 
At October 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh,a blog hop! Yeah! I have many, many cookies in my near future. Thanks for linking these yummy yummy's up to my blog hop. Less children just means more cookies for the three of you! There's a t-shirt idea! Happy Halloween!

 
At November 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love your blog, it's adorable and you have fabulous pics and recipes!!! Thanks :)
Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

 
At November 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous Cora White said...

Love these cookies

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home