23 June 2011

Spiral Cookies



Last weekend we took Jordan to see Mr. Popper's Penguins. I loved that book as a kid. I still remember turning the pages and looking at the illustrations of the penguins in the refrigerator.


There was a short movie that played before the main event. It featured one of the characters from Ice Age. It's hard to explain, but it showed him making various parts of the earth, like the continents and various landmarks. One such landmark was Mount Rushmore. Next to me, I hear Jordan say "hey, that's Mount Rushmore!" I smiled to myself. Hey, my 6-year-old pays attention in school! She learned in Kindergarten about Mount Rushmore! I wondered if she knew the presidents names, too. What a smart kid!


After the movie we went to dinner where I mentioned this to my husband. He asked Jordan, "did you learn about Mount Rushmore in Kindergarten?"


Her answer? "Nope. I learned about it on Phineas and Ferb. They tried to put Candace on the mountain."


So much for being so smart in school. All my Kindergartner ever wanted to know she learned by watching the Disney Channel. All those hours weren't for naught after all.


Speaking of Mount Rushmore, the Fourth of July is right around the corner.


Enter these red, white, and blue cookies.


I made these spiral cookies a few years ago for the 4th and they were a huge hit. They disappeared quite quickly. I've been making them ever since. They are super easy and super yummy. I think the almond extract adds a little extra to the cookie. (You can sub vanilla if you don't like almond.)They are quick and easy to eat and very portable if you are having an outdoor event or need to travel with them. And the best part about them is that you can change out the colors for different holidays (red/green for Christmas, orange/black for Halloween...)




What I love about making these cookies? Is that there is no mess! You roll out (or use your hands to press) the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. There is enough butter in the dough it doesn't stick. No messy flour clean-up. That's my kind of cookie. Then you just slice and bake. Easy peasy.




This is the first of a few 4th of July recipes I'll be sharing. I'm learning to plan ahead. 


Excuse me while I go put on another Phineas and Ferb for Jordan. It's summer and I don't want her to loose her school skills. Disney = Educational, you know (wink, wink).






Spiral Cookies

by Crazy for Crust
Source: Betty Crocker

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • ½ teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup red colored sugar
  • ¼ cup blue colored sugar
Instructions
  1. Add sugar, butter, almond extract, and egg to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed for about 2 minutes, until combined. Slowly stir in your flour and mix until just combined.
  2. Divide dough into two pieces. Place one half on wax or plastic wrap spread out on your counter. Cover the top with another sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap. Use your hands or a rolling pin to press the dough into a 8-inch rectangle (oblong is fine). Alternating colors, sprinkle sugars in lines across the dough. Use the bottom sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap to help you roll the dough. Repeat with the second half of dough. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour (overnight is fine).
  3. Heat oven to 350°. Slice rolls of cookie dough into ¼-inch slices. Place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake 6-8 minutes until the edges begin to brown. You may want to rotate the cookie sheets halfway through baking. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet and then remove to a cooling rack.

*Use any color sugar you want; red and green for Christmas or orange and black for Halloween, etc.

Powered by Recipage




Enjoy!






This recipe is linked with:
Sweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Sweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), Sweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Joy of Desserts, Cast Party Wednesday, 2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), A Well-Seasoned Life, Savory Sunday (The Sweet Details), This Chick Cooks A Themed Baker's Sunday (Cupcake Apothecary)

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At June 23, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Blogger FromTheHeartsOf said...

Too cute! I've loving all the roll up sugar cookie recipes I have been seeing lately. It's so much easier, especially for summer when you don't want to be slaving over an oven very much. Love adding the spinkles to give it a sweet swirl! Thanks for sharing!!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger justjenn said...

I love this idea! We do a big block party on the 4th and this is the perfect side dish to share.

On another note...I'm actually a huge fan of Phineas and Ferb. One of my fav kid shows. :)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Six Sisters said...

These are so cute! Perfect for summer! We found your blog through a linky party and are your newest followers! We would love for you to follow us, too! We have an awesome giveaway going on right now. Come check us out!

www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who new something so easy could look so cute! I would love it if you came over and linked up to Cast Party Wednesday. I have a great collection of recipes going and yours would be a PERFECT addition! http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Tessa said...

These are cute! A great and fairly easy way to have a festive dessert :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm loving exploring yours!!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

love these! great idea for the 4th!

 
At June 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh my gosh! I just love these!!! You are so clever!

 
At June 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

I think they look great! Not just a fun holiday cookie but one that's good to eat:@)

 
At June 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Erin
Thank you! They are fun to make. :)
Dorothy

 
At June 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

These are definitely on my "to make" list. I have tons of colored sugar and not a lot of ideas. This looks like something I might manage to pull off plus I know they're delicious. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-10.html

 
At June 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Teauna said...

Found your recipe on a linky party! These look great! Would love you to visit my blog! www.fromcupboardtocupboard.com

Have a great weekend!

Teauna

 
At June 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

These are great. So easy and colorful. Perfect for any holiday or occasion, we just swap the colors. Thank you for linking up at Joy of Desserts. :-)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 2:56 AM , Blogger Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

These look really fantastic! So colorful!

Simply Sweet 'n Savory

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Ambreen
Thank you!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your fun and yummy recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back and visit us tomorrow.
Thanks again.
I hope to see you there!

 
At June 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Jodi Faye said...

That is so smart, and you could make them for any holiday or party theme! I am going to have to try it with my kiddos this year ;)
New fan from theFrugalGirls.com!

 
At June 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Theresa said...

What a great idea! Excellent use of any leftover sprinkles from all the holidays and much "cleaner" than icing cookies and then putting sprinkles on them.
Another new fan from theFrugalGirls.com

 
At June 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe for the cookies says to use 1 cup of butter. This this mean real unsalted butter or can I substitute margarine? Alice

 
At June 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Alice
I always use regular, salted butter for these cookies. I've never tried margarine. If you try them with margarine, let me know how they turn out! Thanks for reading!

 
At July 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

Hi! Just stopping by to let you know that this recipe tied for the #3 spot on Sweet Indulgences Sunday last week! I loved it!! Hope you'll stop by this weekend and share another recipe. The party has already started.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-11.html

 
At September 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Sue said...

I LOVE these cookies! I think I'll make them for Halloween! Thanks!
P.S. I just subscribed to your blog via email~love it!

 
At November 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM , Anonymous pharmacy said...

Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

 
At May 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Michelle Paige said...

Whoa! These look too easy to be true! I love that you can color-code them to fit any theme! I will have to try them! Thanks so much for linking up to my Red, White, Blue & You Link Party!

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

How cute are those! Everything my kids ever learned they learned from Disney channel as well. But when people comment on their smarts of course I smile and pretend it's because I'm such an amazing parent.

 
At May 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

LOL, I use it as an excuse to make myself feel better that she watches too much TV. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home