Brownie Batter Crispy Treats
Last night I couldn't sleep. I woke up at midnight and it took me a couple hours to fall back asleep. I couldn't stop thinking about my to-do list: bake this or that, write this or that, stuff I had to do before our playgroup today, etc. I spent the hours tossing from right to left coming close to sleep a few times, only to be startled awake by a new thought like, "Where did I put those water balloons???" followed by another amount of time obsessing about where I could have put them.
Whenever I have nights like these, I remember what my dad always says about restless nights. He'd find himself awake at nights worrying about work and he would envision a little guy up in his head with a big broom who would sweep, sweep, sweep those thoughts away. It helped him to clear his mind so he could fall asleep.
So, last night, I dutifully brought out my little guy with his broom. I tried to make him sweep. But, this is where I differ from my dad. Because the little sweeper doesn't make me stop thinking about things, in fact it does the opposite.
What is the guy wearing? A green maintenance suit? Shorts and a t-shirt?
What's he look like? I can't just envision a faceless person, that's creepy. Glasses? Hair? No hair?
Wait a minute. What if it's not a guy? What if it's a girl? Is she pretty? Sparkly? Thinner than me?
Wait a minute, she is thinner than me! I must stop baking so much. I need to work out more. My tummy is too smooshy.
Speaking of smooshy tummy, how am I going to look good in a bathing suit? I want to look good on our (adults only!) trip to Las Vegas. I can't wait; it's for our anniversary.
Oh, but before our anniversary is my husband's birthday. A big party. I have so much to do. Shop, make, cook, plan. Oh I'm so stressed out about his birthday.
And I end up right back where I started.
You know what's better than a sleepless night? These Brownie Batter Crispy Treats.
Awhile back I made Cake Batter Crispy Treats, from How Sweet It Is. A few weeks later I wanted to use up some of the crispy rice cereal I had overbought and I was trying to think of a new flavor treat. I'd already done peanut butter. I was looking through the cabinet when it hit me. Brownies! Brownies are one of my absolute favorite desserts (add a crust and it gets even better). I did the same thing for the Brownie Batter Crispy Treats that I did for the cake batter ones - just added some powdered mix into the melted marshmallow/butter mixture.
If you need something to take to a party this July 4th, think about making these treats. They're easy to make and very portable. Kids love them (and adults too!)
So, next time you have a restless night, make some Brownie Batter Crispy Treats. They might not help you get back to sleep, but they'll sure taste good.
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
- ¾ cup brownie mix (the powder, not the batter)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and the marshmallows in a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. As the marshmallows begin to melt, slowly add in the brownie mix until it is incorporated with the marshmallows and butter. Quickly stir in the crispy rice cereal.
- Pour the marshmallow-cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and press to combine. (I like to spray my hands with cooking spray and use them to press the treats into the pan – just be careful not to burn yourself.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.