27 October 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Surprise Cookies (12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies)


Remember when you turned 21 and stopped at a 7-eleven just to get a Zima because you were so excited to get carded? And, for awhile, you got a little thrill each time you had to show the waiter your drivers license when imbibing? Until one day you're at the grocery store in your old sweatpants and spit-up stained shirt, hair all stuck up in a ponytail, toddler running berserk around the candy display, buying a bottle of cheap wine and the cashier picks up the bottle, gives you one look, and checks you out without a mention of ID. And you realize, wow, I look over 30?

Yeah, that moment happened a long time ago for me.

I don't even think about it anymore, not getting carded. But when I do get asked to show proof I'm over 21? It's a little shocking, if you really want to know the truth.

Last week I went to Costco and purchased, among other things, an industrial-sized bag of toilet paper, eight pounds of butter, and two bottles of the best tasting cheapest wine on the market. And I got carded.

My first thought was, he must have to card everyone.

Then he told me I didn't look a day over 22, at which point I burst out laughing. (I know he was probably kidding.)

And then he asked me my secret to having such young looking skin.

Duh, dude. Look in the cart. Wine and butter, fruit of the Gods, the fountain of youth.

You know what else belongs in that category? Peanut butter and chocolate.


And caramel. Surprise!





Oh and one other thing...I want to thank Joy at Joy of Desserts, Mamie at Home Grown Beanes, and Latasha at Storybook Science for awarding me the Versatile Blogger Award in the past couple of weeks. I want to thank you all for the honor and promise I haven't forgotten about you! This move is kicking my blogging bottom and as soon as it's done with I will accept and pass on my award. Thank you again so much!




Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Caramel Surprise Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
½ cup chocolate chips
12-15 caramel squares, unwrapped

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
2.       Mix peanut butter, brown sugar, baking soda, and egg in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
3.       Scoop about a tablespoon and a half of dough into your hands. Flatten a little and place an (unwrapped) caramel in the center. Wrap the cookie up around the caramel square and place on cookie sheet, sealed side up (just in case it leaks).
4.       Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet before removing to rack to cool completely.

Yield: about 12-14 large cookies




This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff)

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At October 27, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

You just gave me the biggest laugh today, thank you! I sometimes question the 18 year old cashier if they ask me for my ID. I'm like do I look that young. But what kills me is when they look at my ID and they see I'm almost 37, and they say I didn't think you were that old, lol! I'm like geez thanks, now you are calling me old? Anyways, love, love, love these cookies! I need some now to keep me looking under 21! :)

 
At October 27, 2011 at 2:37 PM , Blogger ms.composure said...

um those cookies look AMAZING! and those pictures are gr8! thanks for sharing



http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

 
At October 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Blogger The Poet Herself said...

I don't care if they're doing it because they have to or not: I still prefer to be carded. ;) What a great surprise in those cookies! :)

 
At October 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM , Anonymous Amilia @justeverydayme said...

Haha too funny! These cookies look incredible..definitely going to have to try making them sometime soon!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Anonymous kita said...

Lmao "Wine and butter, fruit of the Gods, the fountain of youth." that has got to be printed on something so we can slap it all over pinterest. And these cookies can get up there with it :)

 
At October 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Looks so gooey and yummy! Coincidentally I was just getting ready to send you the Versatile Blogger Award ;). Look for it on my site probably next week!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Jennifer @ Mother Thyme
They actually say that? Amazing! Thanks for your comment. :)

@Ms. Composure
Thank you so much! :)

 
At October 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@Amilia @justeverydayme
Thanks! If you make them, let me know what you think. :)

@kita
LOL! Thanks Maybe I'll make a printable. :)

@Kristin
Thanks! Now...do I have to find 60 new bloggers? ;) LOL

 
At October 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

yum yum yum!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Michael Ann said...

Rachel Ray mag has desserts? Ha! Anyhow, these look totally wonderful! I just made my fav recipe for peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies and they are great, but man, the addition of this caramel surprise takes it to a whole new level!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous The Better Baker said...

Man oh man (or Woman oh Woman as the case may be!) These look mouth-watering and I want one NOW. Some of my most favorite flavors wrapped up in this little puppy. Pinning for now and making these before the holidays I'm sure. Thanks -

 
At October 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@The Better Baker
Thanks! I know, chocolate+peanut butter+caramel = bliss. :)

 
At October 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

These cookies look and sound amazing! I love caramel with peanut butter and chocolate.

 
At October 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced}
Thank you! I love them so much too. :)

 
At October 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

Love the surprise. Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

 
At October 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Not 60 bloggers, just 10! I'll post it 10/31.

 
At October 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

You're welcome for the award, Dorothy, and no worries about when to blog about it. I know you are moving and totally understand a busy life too. These cookies sound fabulous to me. I love all these tasty ingredients. Have a good move and a Happy Halloween. I can't wait for Christmas! :-)

 
At November 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These look scrumptious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you again this week!

 
At November 4, 2011 at 1:21 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Oohhh, anyone would love a surprise like that.

 
At November 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am not kidding...I could take these away from a baby and not feel a bit bad. Well..ok maybe not a baby but I have to say it would cross my mind! YUM x infinity!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home