08 July 2011

S'mores. With Peanut Butter Chocolate.


Oh yes, I did.

But hold on, let me give you the background first.

I've been on vacation for the past few days in "OMG there was no fog this trip" San Francisco. Well, more of a "staycation" than a vacation. My parents go to Oregon every summer and so, in the interest of saving money, getting away from the inferno that is Sacramento, and playing tourist in the city I grew up in, we headed to their house to stay. No hotel costs = semi-free vacation.

The problem with visiting where you grew up is that there is well...visiting to do. Whenever we visit there we hardly ever do more than head to the park. So we packed it all in this trip: BART, Union Square, Chinatown, the Zoo, Half Moon Bay and the beach. We had a great trip.

There is a famous chocolate shop in San Francisco. Maybe you've heard of it? Ghirardelli. Oh, yum. They make little squares of goodness. Chocolate squares and chocolate mint squares and chocolate caramel squares.


And, for the love of all things PB&C...Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares. My husband saw them first. We snatched them up faster than you can say "I'm gonna gain five pounds but it is SO worth it."

I wish I could claim this recipe idea as my own. But I can't. My daughter came up with it.

*applause*

We were roasting marshmallows over the front burner of the gas stove in my parents' kitchen when she thought of it. I think she just wanted to try one of the squares. She had chosen marshmallows over a Ghirardelli square for dessert and wanted to come up with a way to have both.

She's a genius. Do they have dessert Mensa? 'Cuz she's so totally in.


Roast a marshmallow. I like mine burnt on the outside, smooshy and melty on the inside.


Grab two graham cracker squares. And squish the toasty fire-burnt goodness together with a peanut butter Girardelli square. (Or a Reese's, whichever you have.)


Watch the chocolate and peanut butter ooze out from beneath the graham squares. Catch the ooze in your mouth. Or lick the counter. Whatever, I won't tell.

Pure genius.  Peanut Butter Chocolate S'mores. The scary thing about this recipe? I almost always have the ingredients on hand.  Good for me. Bad for me.


So...we're back from our trip. Sad. But we have a lot to look forward to, first of which is my husband's 50th birthday next weekend. Which I'm hosting. At my house. And cooking and baking for. So, if I'm a bit absent over the next week or so, you'll know why.

But? There will be peanut butter and chocolate at the party (his favorite combo). So at least I'll have this recipe (and all the ingredients) for Peanut Butter Chocolate S'mores to dissolve my stress.

See? Silver lining, people. Silver lining.

Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Chocolate S'mores
Printer-Friendly Recipe

Ingredients:
Marshmallows
Peanut Butter Cups or Squares (Reese's or Ghirardelli or whatever you have)
Graham cracker squares, twice the number of your marshmallows and cups

Directions:
Roast your marshmallow over a flame. Top one graham square with a peanut butter cup and place the roasted marshmallow on top. Top with another graham square. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.


This recipe will be linked with:

Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Sweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), Sweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), A Well-Seasoned LifeSavory Sunday (The Sweet Details), Simply Delish (KB and Whitesnakes Home)

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At July 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Desi said...

Simple yet genius! Hey, I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

 
At July 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Anonymous JamieAnne said...

Oh my yummmm!!

That looks fabulous! :) Thanks for the visit to my blog!

 
At July 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

YUM!! These sound delish!

 
At July 9, 2011 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Jade Cahoon said...

Holy smokes, this looks amazing!! Your daughter is a genius!! ;) Totally trying this at our next camp out!! Thanks you both so much for the idea!

 
At July 9, 2011 at 7:19 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

Love love love this creative idea! Kudos to your brilliant daughter - she has a very bright future for sure. Great photos...I'm gonna have to try this one soon. Thanks -

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Suzy said...

What an awesome good idea! I never think to make smores in my kitchen but its totally doable with my gas stove and hood vent :-)

 
At July 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

Oh, how I love Ghiradella chocolate squares. This is such a cool idea since the squares are the perfect shape anyway. Delicious! Thanks for sharing another great recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

 
At July 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM , Blogger Kim of Mo Betta said...

YUM! We experiment with s'mores over here too...you really can't go wrong as long as you have some kind of chocolate! Dark Chocolate Ghirardelli is quite fabulous on them too :D

 
At July 11, 2011 at 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I love the idea of using a peanut butter cup! :)

 
At July 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

@sweetpeaskitchen.com
I know - isn't it awesome. I have a huge bag in the corner for my husband's birthday party and it's a constant fight NOT to keep making these. ;)

 
At July 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Raven said...

ahhh!! I should have never come here! those look DELICIOUS and they will NOT help with my diet!!!

 
At July 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

So easy, so delicious. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home