28 August 2012

Skinny Milk Chocolate Caramel Frozen Pies {2 points+ and Kernel Seasons}

Pin It

If there is one thing my husband and I love to do, it's go to movies. B.K. (before kid) we went every to see a movie every weekend. Sometimes two.

I still remember the last B.K. movie we saw, In Good Company. I seem to remember it was a cute movie. What I do remember is having to pee, like, three times during it, as I was a gazillion months pregnant at the time.

Since Jordan was born we've been to no more than 10 movies. In over seven years. By the time you pay for a sitter, who can afford a movie?

Back in our movie-going heyday, we lived in Chandler, Arizona, home of the mega-movie theaters. I have fond memories of those theaters, probably because being able to go to a movie without worrying that your phone is off for an hour and a half and someone might drown or get sick or need you was quite nice.

The other fond memory I have of those theaters was that they offered a popcorn seasoning bar. You could get your ginormous tub of popcorn and then add flavor. Like movie theater popcorn, only better.

Alas, movie theaters here  in Sacramento (at least the ones by me) don't have this option.

Something I never thought to do was buy my own. I mean, I stuff my purse with everything else at the movies, why not bring my own seasoning?


So, when the folks at Kernel Season's contacted me about trying their popcorn seasonings, I was so on board. Like, faster than you can say "popcorn seasoning!" I asked, of course, that they send me sweet flavors (although, their savory ones sound super awesome, heeellloooo parmesan and garlic!) because, well, this is a sweet blog. And boy, did they deliver! I got four fabulous seasonings to try: Milk Chocolate Caramel, Kettle Corn, Apple Cinnamon, and Chocolate Marshmallow.

Of course, I couldn't just put them on popcorn, now could I?

{Although I did do that too. And it was gooooood.}


Instead, I made a sweet pie. A frozen sweet pie, flavored with the Milk Chocolate Caramel flavor.

{You could totally use any and all of the flavors. I just used that one. Afterwards I kinda kicked myself for not making a few flavors. Don't make the same mistake as I did.}

Aaaandd...because I went to Old Navy last week to try on clearance clothes and somehow their sizing is all messed up and I'm not the size I used to be, I made these skinny. My husband does weight watchers online, so I input the recipe into his builder using the low/fat-free ingredients I've noted in the recipe, and it told me that these babies are only 2 points+. And they're gooood. Which means I can eat two.

Right?

That's another thing that is awesome about the Kernel Season's flavorings. They are all really low-cal and you don't need a lot to flavor your popcorn, cereal, coffee, oatmeal, or whatever your mind can imagine. So it's a great low-cal way to add sweet flavor without adding pant sizes.

I have soooo many ideas on how to use these. Especially one with the Chocolate Marshmallow. And the Apple Cinnamon. Stay tuned!


I can pretend that the caramel sauce for garnish is skinny too, right?

Good, because, um, I *may* have licked my plate.

Skinny Milk Chocolate Caramel Frozen Pies
by Crazy for Crust

Ingredients
    For the Crust
    • 6 graham cracker sheets (reduced fat is fine)
    • 3 tablespoons butter spread, melted
    For the Filling
    • 1 cup Cool Whip (I used fat-free)
    • 1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 4 teaspoons Milk Chocolate Caramel Kernel Seasons (or any flavor you like)
    Instructions
    1. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Finely grind graham crackers in a food processor. Add to melted butter spread and stir until combined. Equally divide between each muffin liner. Press to compact (I use the bottom of a shot glass for this step).
    2. Stir Cool Whip, yogurt, vanilla, and Kernel Season's powder in a medium bowl. Equally divide it among the muffin cups. Freeze until solid, at least 3 hours.
    3. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Top with caramel or chocolate sauce if desired.
    **Using the fat-free/low-fat equivalents I’ve listed, this recipe works out to be 2 WW Points+ per pie. (Adding caramel sauce will add more points.)**
    Powered by Recipage

    Kernel Season's provided me with four bottles of their flavorings to try and review. All opinions are my own. Kernel Season's can be found at major grocery stores as well as Target and Walmart or online.

    Labels: ,

    23 Comments:

    At August 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM , Anonymous Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

    caramel
    freezer recipe
    pie

    That pretty much sums up why this is awesome!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

    YUM!! These are amazing!
    I have a 7 year old, and I think we have been to even less than 10 movies since he was born. CRAZY expensive with a sitter and the price of movies.

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Lady Behind The Curtain said...

    I guess what they say is true! Great minds do think alike! Nice recipe! We picked almost the exact flavors!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    It's not just you and I don't care what people say: American Eagle jeans are smaller than they used to be!
    They have this seasoning at the megaplexes here. And yes. We are that couple at the movies every weekend. At Scott's insistence. I'm happy to just sit on the couch.

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    Movies? What are those? ;)
    These look sooo good, Dorothy! All of the flavors you picked would have made a great skinny pie. Yay for skinny treats!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

    Umm, their cheesy jalapeño seasoning on popcorn is amazing! When we cash in our 401K to afford dates to the movies I douse my popcorn in it!! I had no idea they had sweet flavors... And in a pie? Psh you can't lose!! So 2+ points times 6... Anyways! Delicious recipe :)

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    Movies with 3 kids very rarely happens. Every once in a while we splurge and break the bank! And every time we get popcorn because what is a movie without it. (the candy gets stuffed in my purse though) I love the idea of a skinny pie...my jeans sure aren't fitting very well lately! My hubby was all over this fun seasoning...I let him pick out 2 of the savory seasonings and I got 2 sweet ones. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM , Anonymous Aimee @ ShugarySweets said...

    We don't do movies often, with 4 kids it gets pricey!
    This pie looks yummy, love that you used the seasoning in it!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 4:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I never would have thought to use popcorn seasoning in sweets... you're opening up a whole new world of possibilities here!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL, thanks Averie!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I know the feeling! :) Thanks Erin!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Ooh, I'll have to try that! Ha, times 6...I know! :)

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Carrie B said...

    We don't go to the movies with the kids... we do every once in awhile for a date night. Last one we saw was the Hunger games.
    I love that you used popcorn seasoning on this! Great idea!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    I hope you have more of these stashed in your freezer because I had the SAME problem at Forever 21 last week and I was about to scream at them about their wonky-sized mediums but then I just went home and baked cookies. I didn't think F21 would understand this crisis and chocolate chip cookies would, you know? Anyway, these look divine and I'm sure Mel was in heaven! I'm totally jelly and want those seasonings for myself!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    wish we had those here, they sound so good.

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I've decided to NOT shop until they correct the sizing:) maybe this treat will help

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Dip It In Chocolate said...

    First of all, popcorn seasoning in ice cream pie? You are the pie queen.

    Second of all, I literally JUST made a bag of popcorn with Kernel Seasons white cheddar sprinkled all of it. (Like.. 5 minutes ago... crazy.) But I'm kinda mad because if I knew they had sweet flavors I certainly wouldn't be eating cheddar!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Crystal {@Phatcakes} said...

    Awesomeness! I also read someone said they have a jalapeno seasoning!! Uh YUM! I must try that!! BTW, we don't get off to the movies almost NEVER anymore, either! lol =]

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Oh yum! I need to get myself to the store! :) Thanks Crystal!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Ha! I never knew either. :) And thanks!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    LOL! Me neither. :)

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    I will add it to my list for my Canada giveaway ha!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM , Anonymous sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

    You know I'm a fan of freezer pies. These are adorable Dorothy! And I've only had that seasoning in the white cheddar flavor. I like the sounds of the sweeter versions though!

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home