26 August 2012

Cake Ball Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pin It

There are lots of things that I do well.

Making baked goods.

Eating baked goods.

Reading.

Math.

Being a wife and mom (well, I think I do that well).

Eating baked goods.

Watching Real Housewives, and my new fav, Beverly Hills Nannies.

Having the discipline to exercise (notice I said discipline to do, not actually doing).

Eating baked goods.

Of course, there are lots of things I don't do well.

Like trying new foods. (Thanks to Dr. Google, I'm pretty sure I have food neophobia.)

Discipline (really, I suck).

Cleaning (I hate it).

And, among other things, I am really not good at rolling cake balls.

Seriously, I see cake balls all over the internets. Perfect ones. Gorgeously round, plump, and smooth. And that's before dipping!

And it's not just cake balls. Truffles. Cookie dough balls. Anything round that requires rolling. Other people seem to be able to roll perfectly round spheres of goodness.

Mine? Look like deformed brains.

I have never, ever, not even once rolled a perfect round ball-of-anything.

They always look oddly misshapen, like they been sent through a wormhole to another dimension and back.

Probably why I don't make cake balls and truffles very often.

That, and dipping in chocolate makes me want to poke a sharp stick in my eye.


Now, I love cake balls as much as the next person. I've been known to throw back a few dozen or so in a sitting.

I also love cookies. And it seems fashionable as of late to stuff cookies with things.

So why not marry the two? Stuff a cake ball in a cookie?

But, then came my dilemma. Cake balls require rolling, thus causing misshapen, deformed little brains and lots of frustration.

And then I remember something that the Desperate Chefwife did awhile back. She made her own Nutella chunks by spreading it out in a thin layer and freezing, then cutting chunks of Nutella goodness to add to her cookies.

Would it work with cake ball mixture?


Yup, it totally does.

{Although you should cut them smaller than in that photo. Those were a little big. They'll break up a little bit in the mixing process.}


Added to my chocolate chip recipe, the cake ball chunks added a marbled texture of goodness. No deformed brains here!


Like I said. I'm good at baking.

And eating....sigh.


Cake Ball Chocolate Chip Cookies
by Crazy for Crust (Adapted from these cookies)

Ingredients
    For the Cake Ball Chips
    • 6 chocolate cupcakes or ¼ of a 9x13” cake
    • ¼ cup vanilla frosting
    For the Cookies
    • 1 stick butter
    • ½ cup granulated sugar
    • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 cup chocolate chips
    Instructions
    1. Make the cake ball chips: crumble cake into a large bowl. Stir in frosting until thoroughly mixed. Press into a thin layer on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Freeze for at least one hour. Once the layer is frozen, slice into bite sized chunks. Keep frozen until ready to use.
    2. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Pour into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
    3. While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
    4. Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and frozen cake ball chips. Chill for 30 minutes to one hour, until cooled.
    5. Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes (depending on size). Cookies made from my 2-tablespoon cookie scoop baked in 11 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from pans to cool completely.
    Powered by Recipage

    Labels: ,

    42 Comments:

    At August 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Veronica LaChance said...

    So my husband absolutely LOVES marble fudge cake and this is like, the next best thing!! I will definitely be making these!!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    you crack me up! love these cookies!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    You are GREAT at baking! and these cookies prove that. What an ingenious idea and combination. Cleaning is overrated:-D LOL! XOXO

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    You are ridiculous. I had to read this very carefully because I honestly had no idea where you were going with "cakeball" when that very plainly looks like a pile of regular cookies! They look AH-mazing.

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I could never get into making cake balls either. I just don't have the patience to do all that dipping. When I have tried it, they just look like a glob of....something. Tasted fab, but nothing I'd be proud to serve to others.

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Those look so good! Bake them with a stick and they can be cake pop cookie pop things. Even dip the corner into chocolate for some of that chocolate. Wow! I think I have my next blog post :) Thanks!
    I'm more than willing to offer up some cake pop lessons... just saying... Maybe at the "small bloggers" conference that you're working on. Is that still in the works ;)

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    For sure! I hope he enjoys it!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Karen!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dorothy, have I told you I love you lately? In a totally, not creepy kinda way of course. I'm with you on rolling cake balls and cleaning! These cookies are the perfect solution, can't wait to give them a try! Pinned.

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM , Anonymous Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

    Love the big chunky cakeballs! Now THIS is a choc chip cookie I need to try - cake IN my cookies...love it!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Back for Seconds said...

    I LOVE this idea! I hate rolling cake balls too. I always make a ton off truffles at Christmas time and I hate myself the whole time. Until they're done, that is, then I'm happy again (and I usually have a tummy ache).
    Way to think outside the box, girl!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

    I am very, very good at the eating baked goods too...oh, and very good at thinking about exercising off said baked goods:-) I love that you put the cake balls into cookies, so no one could judge their shapes. Perfect marriage of cookies and cake!!!

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

    Definitely digging this idea! I LOATHE cake pops and will until my dying day... unless Bakerella or some other equally-talented person is making them. Otherwise, seriously, what IS the secret to that perfectly smooth, shiny chocolate? Because I'm convinced they're alien showoffs and it's some magical potion they're using. Certainly not candy melts or melting chocolate that us mortals use. Anywho, rant is over and my obsessing and drooling over these has begun.

     
    At August 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Genius! Love your super ideas!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM , Anonymous Aimee @ ShugarySweets said...

    What a great idea!!! These look delicious Dorothy! Oh, and I'm pretty good at eating baked goods too, it is quite a talent of mine!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM , Blogger Sugar Swings said...

    awesome! i bet they made the cookies really moist too! (although i do make cake bites every now and then, they are a pain in the arse and not my fav) plus i don't like calling them balls. Love the cookies!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Averie!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

    Genius! These cookies will be making an appearance at my house shortly!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM , Anonymous sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

    as long as they taste good, who cares what they look like!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM , Blogger The Cooking Actress said...

    I'm awful at rolling perfect little truffles/balls too!!! This is a great idea, I can almost taste these cookies!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    My cake balls always have a point at the top...like little dunce caps....why the heck is that? I like your version better!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    i have that same problem - no round balls for me. what a great solution:)

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

    I'm with you on the cake balls. I can make some FABULOUS tasting ones, but when it comes to rolling and dipping. Disaster. And over the weekend, a friend gave me Bakerella's cake pop book as a gift--so now I feel compelled to use it, but will probably end up cursing and stomping my feet around the kitchen. But I could TOTALLY put a cake ball in a cookie! What a great idea!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM , Anonymous Jessi said...

    Brilliant! And I'm totally with you. Mine are always ugly as sin =(

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I've never made cake pops yet due to that exact dilemma. I'm scared mine will come out with odd lumps and bumps. Cake pop acne is not sexy! I love that you've married 2 perfectly great desserts into one and that the cake pops/balls are not balls. I bet these taste frreaking amazing. I love the look and the bits of cake balls just screaming to eat me!

    And I'm soooo with you on trying new things. I always worry I'll make something and it turns out to be disgusting, ha!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Glad I'm not the only one! Thanks so much!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM , Blogger Winnie said...

    These are looking sooooooooooooooooo good that all I can do right now (it's almost 2AM !) is to stare at these photos. I can't even get to the recipe

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are crazy good at inventing new recipes! I love the cake balls folded into these cookies. I can make a decent misshapen cake ball, but cake pops are a totally different story. Disaster!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Ha, thanks Winnie! Now go to bed! :)

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Yes, yes, I know! Thanks Ashley!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    :) Thanks Heather!

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    True dat! :)

     
    At August 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Jessica, I hope you enjoy them!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

    I struggle making things round, too! My lemon poppyseed truffles somehow looked more like actual truffles than round balls of loveliness. Although I guess that's the point? Whatever - I love these cookies! Pinning and can't wait to try :)

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 2:51 AM , Anonymous madge | the vegetarian casserole queen said...

    You could add comedy to your list of things you are good at! That was hilarious. And the cake ball cookies...brilliant!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Erin said...

    Holy balls! You're also good at making me drool! These sound AMAZING!!!!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Nicky!

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

    Seriously? These sound amazing! So pinning this recipe. Thank you for sharing such a yummy idea.

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 7:10 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    What a great idea!! Pinned and can't wait to try :)

    The Farm Girl

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

    I have seen cake balls baked whole into the middle of the cookie but I like this better because it's spread out more than just in the middle.

     
    At August 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow! That is a great idea!

     
    At August 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    Thanks Erin! I wanted the cake balls to be more like chocolate chips. :)

     

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home