22 October 2010

"All Food Fridays"

Today is the first edition of what I'm calling "All Food Fridays." I have found myself baking and cooking lots of things lately, and I want to share. So on Fridays I will be posting things that might NOT be pie related.

The idea for "All Food Fridays" came to me because of something my husband brought in one morning from the garden.



Wait, here's a different picture, to give you a better idea of size.



Yeah, that's a monster zucchini. (From a zucchini plant we thought had stopped producing. A plant that looked as if dog had actually dug it up.)

So what to do with a monster zucchini? Make bread, of course!

At this point I went to my trusty 3-ring binder (where I keep all my tried and true recipes) to find my zucchini bread recipe and it was...gone. We have a black hole in our house; one that eats jackets and suits and tarps. And, apparently, recipes. So this is one I found in one of my Betty Crocker circulars, the ones at the grocery check-out. (The October one, with Bakerella on the cover. I LOVE her!)



Start by shredding your zucchini. I used my food processor to make my life easier. I've had my Cuisinart for almost 10 years. When I first opened it after my honeymoon, the little attachement to make the grater part work disappeared into that black hole I told you about. Finally last month I ordered a new part. Oh, how much time I've wasted over the past decade doing it all by hand!



Add your eggs, sugar, and vanilla to the zucchini and stir.



Now add the rest of the dry ingredients, except the nuts and mix well (by hand). I used a combination 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose.



Chop and add your nuts, if you want. I used pecans, because they were closer. I was too lazy to walk out to the garage to get the walnuts from the freezer out there. But walnuts would be awesome in here too. Or leave the nuts out all together if you want.

You can add the raisins now too. I didn't. Raisins don't belong in bread. Well, they don't belong in anything, if you ask me.



Pour into your pans. You can use two loaf pans, or a combination of large and mini loaf pans and muffin tins. Usually, one regular size loaf pan makes three mini loaves. I got three mini loaves and nine muffins.

They look great, taste great, and the smell...oh my. Between the weather finally turning and the yummy smell in my kitchen, I finally feel like it's Fall!



Happy Friday!

2 Comments:

At October 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I like the idea and the zucchini is really a big one.
dining table

 
At November 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

I'm going to try to make this tomorrow. I've never made any kind of bread in my life. Wish me luck!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home