21 September 2010

So Simple...And So Yummy!

I guess now that I've got a Crust recipe out there, it means I need some filling to go with it (because one cannot survive on crust alone).

I wanted something simple and delicious. Something that wouldn't need baking because my house is already hot enough without turning on the oven. (I live near Sacramento. Even into September, the forecast for the weekend is in the 90s.)

I started thinking about that product that was in the stores awhile ago, Philadelphia Ready-to-Eat Cheesecake filling. Reminded me of my childhood; the box we used to create a no-bake cheesecake. I loved that stuff as a kid-I can still taste the distinct flavor.

But, I'm sure, that "distinct flavor" didn't constitute something very good for you. Doesn't the word "cheesecake" imply refrigeration? I still don't understand how a little packet of powder is supposed to be a cheesecake. So, on the hunt I went for how to make a from scratch no-bake cheesecake filling.

I came across several recipes on Allrecipes.com and adapted a few to make my perfect filling. Here goes!

It's really rather simple, actually. Only a few ingredients gets you to the finish line.

First, you need whipped cream. I love Alton Brown's Whipped Cream recipe, from FoodNetwork.com.


Make sure your bowl, beaters, and cream are all COLD before making your whipped cream. Add all the ingredients to the bowl and beat until you have...


Voila! Sweet whipped cream. Now put it back in the fridge while you make the rest of the filling.


All you need for the rest of the filling is cream cheese (of course), sugar, and vanilla. And yes, my vanilla bottle is well-loved.

Let your cream cheese soften (either microwave it for a few seconds, or, if you're more organized than me, take it out of the fridge a few hours before using).

Mix all the ingredients together and you have this:


Fold in your whipped cream gently and you're done!
Add to your Crust and chill for about an hour before serving.
(Or go grab a spoon. I did.)

This Filling recipe is very generic; it will go with all different Crust varieties. It's also very easy to embellish. Expect me to do that - watch for even more fillings soon!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home