15 February 2012

Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies


Growing up, I never expected to live farther than five minutes away from my parents. After all, my Nana was about two minutes from my house, and my Grandma was three, depending on traffic lights. But life never really goes as planned, and we have landed about a two hour drive from my childhood home.

I'm not complaining; two hours is much preferable to the 11 hour drive it used to take my parents to come visit us when we lived in Arizona. Plus a time difference, for six months (I really don't get that, BTW). I'll take two hours, no problem.

The problem with being far away is that we don't always get to celebrate birthdays on the actual day. And in my family? Birthdays are big. (Like you didn't guess from yesterdays post.) Big with cake and candles and singing. Usually a dinner out, to a nice restaurant where you can wear your dressy jeans.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. We couldn't be there, it being mid-week during school time and all. We're going to see her next week, but still. I couldn't let her birthday go without some sort of celebration, right? I can't very well mail a birthday cake. So I made cookies instead.


Rolo stuffed cookies aren't new, but they're new to me! I've been wanting to make them for ages now. So I combined my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe with one of my mom's favorite candies.


All you have to do is get a scoop of cookie dough and wrap a Rolo inside. Easier than inventing mail-proof buttercream. I added some crisscross marks 'cuz, well, it's not a peanut butter cookie without fork marks.

Voila! Insta-birthday.


Happy Birthday Mom! We love you!


Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

by Crazy for Crust {Recipe adapted from Crisco}
Ingredients (About 2 dozen cookies)
  • ½ cup softened butter
  • ¾ cup peanut butter (I use creamy Skippy Naturals)
  • 1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • About 24-30 Rolo candies, unwrapped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
  2. Mix butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla with a stand or hand-held mixer until just blended. Add egg and beat until incorporated.
  3. Whisk baking soda and flour in a medium bowl. Add to wet ingredients and mix just until blended.
  4. Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough. Place a Rolo in the center of each and roll so that the Rolo is in the center of the dough and does not show. Place 2” apart on baking sheet. Use a fork to make crisscross patterns on each cookie (dipping the fork in water will help it not stick to the dough).
  5. Bake about 8-9 minutes just until set. Bottoms will slightly brown and centers may still look a little under baked. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
Powered by Recipage




Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let's Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), One Stop Shop Linky (The Southern Product Queen). WednesdayMrs. Fox's Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox's Sweets) Made It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick CooksCast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I've Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons). SaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters' Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), Seasonal/Occasional Linkys: Moms Crazy CookingSouthern Mom CooksCheap Crafty MommaSusie QT

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At March 7, 2012 at 5:03 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

Rolos are one of my favorite candies...and then there's cookies too! Combine the two and I'm thrilled. These look divine. MMMM!

 
At May 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM , Blogger justjenn said...

Dorothy -- can I pre-make the batter and then freeze it make later this week? I'm trying to do a bunch of prep work before we leave for camping.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Reading your comments is better than eating pie...and if you know me that's saying a lot. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home